I can’t post much recent stuff at the moment; there’s not much of it, and what I’ve got is still not revealable yet. Except for this- I don’t think anyone will mind me sharing. 🙂
G1 Little red Riding Hood (commission, 2012)
Cherry Blossom swap
G4 male StarSong
G3 Garden Pony (blue- Sunny Daze pose)
G1 Garden pony (blue- shy pose)
G3.5 Styling Size “snowflake”
G4 Wonderbolts (Soarin, Spitfire, Surprise)
G4 Chief & ?
G4 Garden pony for swap
Lady Gaga (needs bait)
Okee Dokee, what shall we do today? How about… garden ponies! That sound good? Even if it doesn’t, it’s what I’m serving… like I tell my kids at supper time, this isn’t a restaurant, you get what you get. And then they ask for cheeses sandwiches anyway. But that’s not the point.
I love these guys, but I do worry that people will get sick of them. To me, each one is an individual, but I can see how they’d all look the same to someone who didn’t know them as well as I do. Some of these WIPs will end up in my Etsy shop; others are for my personal collection (which means I’ll take extremely generous offers on them, but otherwise they stay with me), others are commissions.
These guys are all based on the Awesomest Mug in the World, which I found at the SPCA thrift store. I’m almost done making ponies based on these designs, unless someone requests one as a commission. And OK, there’s ONE more design I want to try in this style, but not from this mug. 🙂
Isn’t it fun?! Each pony has different flowers and/or animals:
So there we go. There’s one more G3 WIP for a commission (with a ton of dragonflies!), and I have a set of 3 in different colours to do for someone else… and that might be it. Unless I decide to do a few with umbrellas. 🙂
Prices for these girls start at $30 for a G3 adult- they take much longer than simpler ponies. G4 adults are also $30; another G4 baby like Dayzee would have to be at least $40, because that body is both expensive and nearly impossible for me to get. G1 adults start at $35, but availability depends a lot on whether I can find a bait that’s nice enough to use but bad enough to bait. Fortunately, this style can cover a lot of flaws!
Not many progress pics for this guy; he caused me too many problems along the way for me to bother. The FBR went well; I love using blue colours, because they ways seem to come out nice and smooth, and they cover well in just a few coats.
Painting the symbols was fun; rehairing was a bit tedious (never my favourite part), but uneventful. It was when I washed the hair that we ran into problems; I’d sealed the paint and let it dry (twice), but it all softened in the water and big patches slid right off of the plastic, leaving Pinkie Pie pink showing through on both ears. NOT fun. I got it fixed up, but the finish still isn’t perfect. Good thing he was just practice for doing G4 boy faces!
I was so lucky to get a G1 Barnacle in my stocking this Christmas, so little Barny got pictures taken with his big brother (who has since had a lovely hair makeover to get rid of that floofiness).
Face sculpted with Apoxie sculpt (I’ll sculpt the mouth and nostrils next time; like I said, this was practice). Painted with (cheap) artist’s acrylics, sealed with mod podge. Hair is Dollyhair’s Firebird and Lemon Drop.
And yes, little Barny’s hair is looking just as floofy as big Barnacle’s is; all that paint drama didn’t leave time for styling, and I’ve been nervous about fixing it. It’s slowly getting there, though.
Well, now that Christmas is over, I can post some of the ponies I made as commissions. Top-secret stuff, you know!
I’ve heard that the Princesses were a big hit when the girls opened them, and that made me very happy. I enjoy making ponies, I get great satisfaction from finishing them, but it’s knowing that they’re loved that’s really the icing on the cupcake for me.
These two were commissioned by a mom for her daughter- the first is based on a character created by her daughter (reference picture is here– check out her other pictures, they’re all adorable!)
The same lady also asked me to do Soarin (from the Friendship is Magic TV show), who is one of her daughter’s favourite characters. I ordered dark blue hair, but it didn’t get here on time, so I ended up sculpting it. I like how it looks, but if anyone else wants one like it, I’ll have to charge more! This picture was before paint touch-ups, so please forgive the patchiness on the hair.
Then there was this D*sney-themed pony (shh… we fear them!) for a friend’s son, who is nuts about… Mockey Mowse and Ploodo… Again, not quite finished- he DID get eye highlights before I let him go.
I still haven’t heard what the reaction was to that one, but I’m pleased with how he turned out. Those symbols were tough!
I can’t remember if I’ve already shared Rudie or not, but she was another Christmas commission. I’m SO pleased with her symbol! Actually, I didn’t want to send her away, and I don’t even like that movie. She was a nice addition to our Christmas display until she had to go to PEI:
So that’s why I didn’t finish a Christmas pony for myself this year. These guys were a lot of work, but definitely worth it. I got to take a few weeks off at Christmas, and now I’m back at it- I’ll post WIP pics of my current project next time. It’s for a swap, but my partner left the options so wide open that even if she sees this (which is HIGHLY doubtful!), she won’t know it’s hers. 🙂